Friday, September 16, 2016

Foods to Avoid during pregnancy - Keeping Sane and Healthy

I am in my 4th week of pregnancy and i am starting to get nervous...
Unfortunately i have been hearing a lot of cases where woman have lost their babies at this early stage and i can't help it from not affecting me.



I have had nightmares about bleeding and every little pain or cramp gets me very worked up.

I just want my first doctors appointment that is booked for the 16th of March to come fast. It was a mission to book an appointment with the doctor who i would like to be going to throughout the pregnancy. And the 16th was the earliest they could convenience me. Estimated that by then i will be entering my 6th week of pregnancy.

Writing in this blog actually helps me keep sane... As i have not told friends and broad family yet about my pregnancy writing makes me feel like there is someone to talk to.

Throughout the day i try to think of only the positive side of things and eat healthy. I have been avoiding picking up weights and have changed my morning coffee from regular to decaf. 

I have not yet seen any difference in weight and actually my food portions are a little less than what they were a month ago. Not that i am trying to eat less, but i have been feeling that smaller portions more frequently feels more comfortable and leaves me feeling less bloated.

Here are some FOODS that you should AVOID when pregnant:





1. Soft Cheeses (such as brie, Camembert, Goats Cheese, Blue Cheese, Feta and other similar)
    Why are they dangerous? Because these cheeses are made from  listeria bacteria which may cause  
    infection called Listeriosis. Although rare this type of infection can be very harmful to your baby,   
    provoking miscarriage or still birth.

2. Raw or Uncooked Eggs (this includes home made mayonnaise, uncooked cookie dough or 
    any type of dough containing eggs)
    Avoiding uncooked eggs will help prevent the danger of salmonella or food poisoning.

3. Unpasteurised milk.
    For the same reasons as you should not have soft cheeses.

4. Pate or Cold meats.
    All meats should be well cooked before eaten. No sings of pink or blood should be visible. 

5. Foods containing vitamin A (Liver or any liver products such as Pate or sausage).
    Vitamin A cab be extriemly harmful for your baby causing deformation.

6. Fish that contain Mercury and other sea food. (tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico, swordfish, 
    shark, king mackerel, some types of tuna and oily fish) 
    Mercury turns in to methylmercury and in high amounts this can be toxic for the embryo.
    Other sea food such as shellfish can cause food poisoning. 

7. Alcohol.
    It is best to keep away from all types of alcohol.

8. Caffeine. (Primarily found in Coffee, energy drinks and most types of tea).
    Caffeine is known to speed up the heart rate of your baby as it can be absorbed through the uterus.

A few more tips to keep as safe as possible:
Avoid any unnecessary medication. If you do need to take medication always consult your doctor before taking or before deciding to stop taking your medication.
Wash all fruit and vegetables before eating and Do not pick up anything heavy.
Get enough rest especially when feeling tired and make sure to keep your stress levels to a minimum.




1 comment:

  1. Being a Gynecologist and obstetrician in Indore, I would say that you are doing a great job by sharing such informative post with us. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete